Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 30, 2012

Baby Update

Today I had my first prenatal appointment and it went very well.  We got to chat with the doctor for a little while and discuss my concerns about the pregnancy.  My biggest concern was that I really want to do a natural birth, and I was worried that Dr. Johansen wouldn't be supportive of that.  Turns out it's just the opposite.  He is very supportive. 

With my concerns about miscarriage he suggested that I have a hyper-coagulation panel done.  So we did that today, which tests whether or not I am clotting too much.  If it is the cause of my previous miscarriages and I am over clotting, then I would have to have shots through the rest of my pregnancies to keep the baby.  He also said that we can do ultrasounds as often as every two weeks if we would like to, so we are having another ultrasound next week just to make sure things are going as they should be.

My next appointment with Dr. Johansen will be February 27, when we will be able to hear the baby's heartbeat.  Very exciting!  New ultrasound pictures to come next week.

4 comments:

Amber said...

I totally understand about the blood work. Thats why I miscarried all 5 of my 8 pregnancies. I clot too much, and it is called MTHFR for short. I had to have heaprine shots every day the entire length of all my pregnancies as soon as I found out I was pregnent. I was clotting too much, and the "micro clots" got into the placenta and suffocated the fetus. But now we know, and we are prepared for it. It really is a small price to pay to receive such blessings. I am so excited for you all. Also if you do end up clotting too much, make sure that after you have the baby and your in the hospital that they put the leg compressors on your legs, so that you don't develop DVT's. I didn't know about that, and the nurses didn't put them on my legs, and so I developed DVT's and had to continue with Lovanox after the birth of Sabrina. But after that we knew exactly what to do. Don't give up, it is sooooooo worth it in the end.

Karen said...

YAY! So glad to hear everything is still going well and you have a supportive doctor.

Kathy said...

Sounds like you found the right doctor. I hope everything goes well!!!

Michala Bernal said...

Yay!!!! I am SO happy for you guys. =D We will be praying for an amazing natural birth for little Stewart!