Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, November 07, 2008

Education!!!

So I am taking several classes, which are undergraduate classes, and I think most people that have some sort of degree know what I am going through. But, I have one class that is very special. Not a week goes by without me getting a good laugh or guffaw from the content of the book. So far, I haven't done much more than read the heading of the chapters, and I am getting an A in the class. It's not me, it's the class.

So this week's material is extra special!!! It talks about redefining our work lives, and achieving, our "right livelihood" without thought or concern for money. Sounds good, right? So I decided I would read this chapter. Two pages into it, I had to start laughing, which led to a very interesting discussion post from me for the class. The example that they give as a model of people achieving their "right livelihood" is of a 45 year old woman who lived and worked in Atlanta in a lucrative medical practice. In my own words of their story of her, she decided that even though she had a great life, she was better off exploring her passions.

Okay, still nothing crazy, but then they go on to say that now she spends her time working as a potter and raises tomatoes and flowers. "Really? Is this a joke?!" I am thinking. Nope, not a joke. They go on to give several other similar examples of similar situations. Okay, well, lucky them, right? So I go to the course work online, and they actually expect people to decide their professions solely on what you are passionate about.
Remember, this woman is filthy rich. She could sit in a hammock and drink, I don't know, something good, all day long if she wanted to. Actually, that is essentially what she was doing. But the point is, she worked at a job she wasn't passionate about to get the money to make it possible for her to do this. I am sure that if she wasn't loaded, her name would not have been included in this book for finding her zen.
Well, one of the discussion questions for the class talks about different aspects of reaching the ultimate spirituality, and what role physical fitness plays in your developing this perfect, challenge free life! So, here is my response. Disclaimer: Mark told me I should write a post about this!

Discussion: I have noticed a lot of people saying "If only it were that easy!" Reading this chapter, and the comments in this post makes me think that the new idea of success is finding the easiest path. Problem is, easy never does anything for you. That's the whole point of growth. If things aren't hard, then you aren't going to grow. I have always battled weight problems, since I have hypothyroidism, and a passion for yummy food. But when I am proactive about getting into shape, it means that much more to me when I lose a pound, because I worked hard for it. Getting into shape, or any other goal for that matter, is not supposed to be easy. It is supposed to make you stretch, make you push yourself, make you take the time to exercise.

It is so important to be in shape for many reasons, but the one most applicable to this chapter is to save you money, since you aren't supposed to be working for money, according to them. So, since you won't have much money, because you have decided to doodle for a living, being healthy will cut down on health costs.

2 comments:

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

I loved reading this! Sounds very interesting, but lets be real, we all have to pay the bills :) Anyway, it just sounds fun that you are taking classes and learning, and expanding your mind. Sometimes I feel so duh, staying home everyday with little kids. But I love my babies too. Maybe some day when they are older, I can take some classes just because!!

Stacy said...

Hey Gin can you email me your guys address?