Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

SHOUT OUT! to Visiting/Home Teachers

Mark and I haven't had Home/Visiting teachers very regularly in our first years of marriage, but boy, when we do they are spectacular!  The Visiting Teachers that I have had this year are totally amazing, and I just wanted to publicly announce that!  As you know my birthday was last week.  So when they came to visit me today, just before the "Home Teachers" arrived (I will explain the quotes in a minute), and they brought me some awesome goodies!  Heather brought me this super yummy Fruit Pizza,

and Kathy brought me a fruit basket full of yummy fruits, 

and her husband's book which talks about goals. 


I'm not just raving about the yummy food, which I always appreciate, but also the fact that they take time to get to know me, and both know that I have an abundance of goals that I want to accomplish, one of which is losing weight, and they are both very considerate and supportive of this. 

We also have wonderful home teachers right now, Elder and Sister Davis, who are a senior missionary couple serving here in the Winter Quarters area, so not your traditional Home Teachers.  We love chatting with them, and could spend hours without even realizing it.  Tonight they came by right after my Visiting Teachers, and they shared with us about what Elder Ellis taught them last week (he was here for our stake conference, and is a wonderful speaker).  He talked about discouragement, and that Elder Ellis said that there are 3 ideas to combat it:  1. With God nothing is impossible, 2. Someone has already done it, so I can too, 3. Mark and I can't remember the third one, but once we do, we will add it. 

It made me start thinking about my previous VT/HT, and it reminded me of the ones I had in Utah.  To be honest, I can't remember if they were visiting teacher or home teacher.  Not that they were transgender, but because they, Susan and hubby, came as a couple.  They were some of my favorites because they would stop by, drop off some chocolate, and remind us of General Conference, or whatever else was coming up. 

I remember, too, as a little girl seeing my mom's VTs come over, and wishing that I could have women come over just to visit with me, and I am glad that now I do!

So there you have it, I have a special place in my heart for Visiting and Home Teachers.  Next time you see yours, give them a big hug or handshake, whichever feels more comfortable to you, to show them how much you appreciate them!

If you would like to know more about what Visiting Teaching is, visit: http://lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,8776-1,00.html

If you would like to know more about what Home Teaching is, visit: http://lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,4657-1,00.html

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Yummmm! You definitely have some keepers!

Lara Zierke said...

Such a nice post. I need to be better. I go in waves. I'll do really good for a few months, and then forget for a few months. But in September I had a great experience where my companion and I followed a prompting to do our VTing that day and it was so special because the sister we saw just really, really needed someone to talk to that day. I know there's a reason we do it!

Boy Mom said...

That fruit pizza looks divine!

You were one of the most fun couples we ever home/visit taught...except for the time we were assigned ourselves for a while I gotta say we hit it off perfectly and got 100% each month.